Aztec land map
|Type of Resource:|
Title devised by cataloger.
Nahuatl map on maguey paper documenting agricultural holdings in the Valley of Mexico, probably fields of bulrush or maize under the colonial jurisdiction of Tenochtitlan-Mexico City, ca. 1565.
Figures along the left border portray a succession of Indian governors of Mexico City, ca. 1536-1565, consisting of Don Diego de Alvarado Huanitzin (Panitzin), Don Diego de San Francisco Tehuetzquititzin, Don Esteban de Guzmán, Don Cristóbal de Cecepátic (Cecetzin), and Don Luis de Santa María Cipac (Nanacacipactzin), in addition to a Spanish governor, identified as probably Don Luis de Velasco, Viceroy of New Spain. Each figure includes a name glyph and number of years that they held their colonial office.
Footprints depicted along the left edge of the map probably represent a road or footpath. Figures along the upper edge of the map symbolize forty-one solar years. A strip of water depicted along the lower edge of the map may signify a lake, canal, or other body of water, which irrigates the rows of plants and traverses the map, and becomes paralleled in the upper margin by a representation of a Catholic church and a row of seven native houses.
1 ms. map : hand col. ; on sheet 72.5 x 177.5 cm.
More about permissions and copyright
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
|Curatorial Area:||Beinecke Library|
|Extent of Digitization:|
|Source Digital Format:||
High Resolution (image/tiff)
|Cite this | Text this | Report this|