The Detroit United Railway was a transport company which operated numerous streetcar and interurban lines in southeast Michigan. Although many of the lines were originally built by different companies, they were consolidated under the control of the Everett-Moore syndicate, a Cleveland-based group of investors. The company incorporated on December 31, 1900, and continued to expand into the early 1920s through new construction and the acquisition of smaller concerns. After the DUR acquired the Detroit-Jackson line in 1907, it operated more than of interurban lines and of street city street railway lines.
Beginning in 1922, however, the DUR began a process of devolution when it sold the local Detroit, Michigan streetcar system to the city, under the management of the Department of Street Railways (DSR). The company continued to abandon or sell properties throughout the 1920s; on September 26, 1928, the remainder was reorganized as the Eastern Michigan Railways (EMR).
The Eastern Michigan operated an interurban line from Detroit to Toledo where it connected with Ohio interurbans. With the Cincinnati and Lake Erie interurban connection at Toledo, passenger and freight service was provided from Detroit to Dayton and Cincinnati. This line was abandoned in 1932 due to lack of business.