Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Beinecke Digital Collections

Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association

The Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association (GBMA) was an historic preservation membership organization and is the eponym for the battlefield's memorial association era. The association was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on April 13, 1864, after attorney David McConaughy recommended on August 14, 1863, a preservation association to sell membership stock for battlefield fundraising.[https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5CAmAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BP4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1064,3588203&dq=mcconaughy+cemetery-hill+gettysburg&hl=en] McConaughy transferred his land acquired in 1863 to the GBMA, and the association's boardmembers were initially local officials. The GBMA sold stock to raise money, hired a superintendent at $1000/yr,[https://books.google.com/books?id=3hxCAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA157] added to McConaughy's land holdings, and operated a wooden observation tower on East Cemetery Hill from 1878–95.[https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=iXhbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IVENAAAAIBAJ&pg=7042,3905909&dq=zeigler+grove+tower+gettysburg&hl=en]

The association granted few exceptions to their requirement for placing memorials only on established lines, e.g., the 1887 plaque commemorating Gen Armistead's farthest advance on July 3 and the 1884 2nd Maryland Infantry monument on Culp's Hill. In 1880, GBMA officers were Grand Army of the Republic members from various states, by late 1882 GBMA funds were nearly exhausted, and by the 1890s the GBMA's roads were in disrepair.
Showing 1 - 3 of 3 for search: 'Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association', query time: 0.21s
View: List list Grid grid

Help

Expand Your Search

Search our local catalog, finding aids, and more.


Need assistance?

Ask a librarian.