Yale University Library

Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Beinecke Digital Collections

Thomas Ivie

Thomas Ivie was an English colonial administrator, the third agent of Madras after Andrew Cogan and Francis Day. He served in his post from 1644 to 1648.

During Ivie's period, the English got a confirmation of the grant of Madras from Damarla Venkatapathy Nayak's nephew and successor, Srirangarayalu. A new grant was issued confirming the English acquisition of Madras. Copies of this new grant which were presented to factor Greenhill by the new Raya in October/November 1645 have survived to the present day. As per the new grant, the village of Narikamedu to the west of Madraspatnam was added to the East India Company's dominions.

It was in 1646 that the first Hindu temple was constructed in Madras since the English acquisition. It was dedicated to Chenna Kesava Perumal and built on part of the grounds of the present High Court.The endowments were made by Naga Bhattan,the Company's powder-maker and Beri Timanna.

A few years from the English acquisition of Madras, the Sultan of Golconda attacked the region around Madras and the Raja of Chandragiri was forced to flee. The English, however, were diplomatic enough to establish cordial relations with the emerging Muslim power and offered the Sultan the services of their gunner when he blockaded Santhome in 1646.
Showing 1 - 2 of 2 for search: 'Ivie, Thomas', query time: 0.17s
View: List list Grid grid

Help

Expand Your Search

Search our local catalog, finding aids, and more.


Need assistance?

Ask a librarian.