List of money paid on a/c of Turnpike
|Creator:||Hartford and New-Haven Turnpike Company|
|Type of Resource:|
The Hartford and New-Haven Turnpike Company was formed in 1798 with the purpose of surveying and laying out "a direct road from New Haven to Hartford through the town of Berlin and through such towns and in such places as will best promote the public travel." The treasurer of the company was New Haven lawyer Simeon Baldwin (1761-1851).
Gift of the estate of Delia Lyman Porter, 1934.
The records contain approximately 300 manuscript papers including, in Box 1, correspondence, contracts and agreements, financial statements, toll both records, lists of stockholders, records for 12 scheduled dividends paid out between 1805 and 1826, dividend orders and receipts, and in Box 2, vouchers (invoices and receipts) for building, maintaining, and repairing the road. Most of the correspondence is addressed to Simeon Baldwin, but letters were also sent to James Hillhouse and Jeremiah Wadsworth.
Also present in Box 2 is an unrelated printed indenture with manuscript annotations, dated September 2, 1799, transferring 100 acres of land in Ontario County, New York, from Oliver Phelps of Hartford, Connecticut, to Oliver Ellsworth of Windsor, Connecticut.
0.63 linear feet (2 boxes)
1 folder (2 l.) ; 33 cm. and smaller
More about permissions and copyright
|Curatorial Area:||Beinecke Library|
|Extent of Digitization:|
|Source Digital Format:||
Medium Resolution (image/jpeg)
|Cite this | Text this | Report this|