[between 1500 and 1550]
|Type of Resource:|
Collection of Sir Thomas Phillipps (no. 9551). Purchased from Laurence Witten with funds from the Jacob Ziskind Charitable Trust in 1957.
Watermarks: Harlfinger Chapeau 74.
Script: Written by a single scribe in tall, upright minuscule.
Decorative initials, 6- to 5-line, in red with simple floral designs; rubrics throughout.
Binding: 16th-17th centuries. Three original chain-stitched supports, the thread laced into square-edged, flush, wooden boards grooved on the edges. The beaded, colored endbands are sewn on cords which are attached in holes in the edges of the boards. The edges are painted with a red and black interlace design, the spine smooth and round. Covered in brown goatskin, blind-tooled with concentric borders, different on each board, the central panels filled with flowers and small diamonds. One pin hole in the edge of the upper board, three holes for a strap in the lower. Rebacked. According to A. R. A. Hobson, the binding originated in Crete.
Manuscript on paper of 1) Pseudo-Augustine, Soliloquia, translated into Greek by Demetrius Cydonius; first leaf missing. 2) Creed of St. Athanasius. 3) Various prayers and hymns, some by John of Damascus and Macarius, but most anonymous.
ff. ii + 186 : paper ; 153 x 105 (102 x 62) mm.
More about permissions and copyright
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
|Curatorial Area:||Beinecke Library|
|Extent of Digitization:|
|Source Digital Format:||
High Resolution (image/tiff)
|Cite this | Text this | Report this|